Saturday, April 10, 2010

I've always loved the Christian legend of the Dogwood Tree. It's a beautiful story and as the trees are in flowering in beautiful abundance right now, I am getting the reminder on a daily basis of God's love and Christ's dedication to us all. I have been fascinated with capturing the tree right next to our house in every phase imaginable from new buds to dripping with rain. While I share a few of my favorite images, I also thought I'd share the story with you for those that haven't heard it and for those who love it as much as I do.

"According to legend the dogwood was the size of the oak and other forest trees. Being firm and strong, it was chosen as the timber for the cross, during the Crucifixion of Christ. According to stories, the tree was distressed for being used for a cruel purpose, and Jesus being nailed to it sensed this and told the tree, "Because of your regret and pity for my suffering, never again shall the dogwood tree grow large enough to be used as a cross. Henceforth it shall be slender and bent and twisted and its blossoms shall be in the form of a cross, two long and two short petals. In the center of the outer edge of each petal there will be nail prints, brown with rust and stained with red, and in the middle of the flower will be a crown of thorns, and all who see it will remember ..."

I am heading to the beautiful country of New Zealand tomorrow to hang with Nic Howard and teach at her awesome event Autumn Escape!! I'm both beyond excited and beyond nervous! Ha! I can't wait to meet all you awesome ladies down there and have some fun creating! (But don't you even try to get me to eat Vegemite ;)) I doubt I'll have a chance to post again before I leave so I want to wish you all a wonderful weekend!

xoxo,
k.

10 comments:

cnelson said...

Gorgeous pictures and lovely story. I've not heard that legend before. I will forever love the dogwood tree now. How fun in New Zealand!! You're going to be fabulous!! Wish I was going to be there!

Lindsay Teague Moreno | 5ive Photo said...

That's a cool story, love that tree. Great pictures of it Kelly! Have fun on your trip! I'm insanely jealous of you right now.

Lindsay

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Beautiful!!!
A yearly reminder is so in order!!!

I love Dogwoods and have not seen a 'real' one since we moved from CA 10 years ago... Thanks for the gorgeous photos:)

Happy trails!

Jessica said...

Wow! I love your photos and that story is fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

Summer Braxton said...

I have never heard this story before.... and I love it.... especially since I have a pink dogwood blooming right now 5 steps from my own front door.

Sarah Mullanix said...

Awesome story...I LOVE that one!
Have a great time in New Zealand, what a lucky girl you are!!

-Sarah

Nic said...

You can't come all the way to New Zealand and not try our delicious Vegemite!!! It's best on crackers with melted cheese on top :)

I live in New Zealand so I know how lucky you are to be coming over here. I hope my country serves you well - Taupo will be gorgeous right now. I look forward to seeing the stunning pics I know you will take while here!

kim.mom said...

Thanks for sharing that wonderful story!! Have a safe and fun trip!

Embellish It said...

yay I can't wait for you to arrive in New Zealand and take your fantastic class's, you will rock and you will enjoy NZ and the Marmite he he, it is great in a sandwich with potato chips!
See you in 4 sleeps!

Rochelle said...

Thanks for sharing the story of the dogwood.. my Nana told me that story when I was a child and I had forgotton, she now has bad alzhiemers and have been looking for a tree to plant that reminds me of her. A dogwood tree would be perfect and the pink ones are just beautiful, thank you for sharing and giving me a idea to remember my Nana with! Enjoy being in NZ too, it's beautiful down here at this time of year! :)